Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Wiped off History


I've been drawing since I attended kindergarden and since then drawing has become a bad hobby of mine. I would draw over things that i see around me, including my wall and cloths. I would take books out and wouldn't bother reading it and just look at the wonderful colour its displaying. When i got through high school one of my favourite subject i took was Art History and fell in love with it, especially in the area of Feminist Art. All this time snooping through magazine and books, never did I realize that there isn’t much feminist artist out there that are acknowledged or found in history books or article. Everyone knows who Jackson Pollock or
Andy Warhol and Giotto Di Bondone is, but what about Feminist artist back in the 14th century like Catarina Van Hemessen who was train by her father to paint in Italy and Judith Leyster?
Thank God for Americans feminist art movement that is puposely done to recognize all women who have been denied by male domination exhibition and institution. Anyone who knows their Art History knows that because of abstract expressionism influences , female movement had an opportunity to go against the patriarchy in the 1970. My favorite Feminist artist is Judy Chicago whose work is seen by viewers as a challenge to the patriarchy and male institution. Her work such as the "Dinner Party" is one my favourite work of hers, which is a huge collabrative work that was done with the help of other numerous female artist. Chicago has set 39 plates that represents 39 womens in history who have not been name in history. Chicago has set the imaginary dinner table similar to the Leonado Da Vinci "Last Supper". The table is set in a trangular shape which is a motif for women, and in each sides it presented with 13 plates of historic womens. Chicago has also listed 999 names of other females who were also denied in history, that is layered under the trangular table as a mat. Her work is said to be women's "Hallmark" of iconography. One thing i notice before was Chicago has gone through this, to establish the craft art and to recognize the importance of collaboration merely because artist like Jackson Pollock for e.g. have always worked in isolation which clearly stated that feminist artist would work together to achieve what men thought women in art would never conqure.
I believe Men and Women are equal in so many ways and there shoudn't be discrimanation against race, social class nor gender. If people work together rather then individual work then just maybe people could achieve things.

What are your thoughts about "Women put second best in Scoiety"!...
Reference List
Art Resource.(n.d.). Retrieved from
Edie Sidgewick.(2008). Retrieved May 27,2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edie_Sedgwick
Delahunt, M. (2008) Artlex: Women History Month. Retrieved March, 2008, from http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/f/feminism.html.
Jeremiah Project: The Feminist Movement. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.jeremiahproject.com/prophecy/feminist.html.
Nochlin, L. (2008) Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists?. Retrieved May, 2008, from http://www.miracosta.cc.ca.us/home/gfloren/nochlin.htm.
LewAllen Contemporary: Judy Chicago. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.lewallencontemporary.com/judychicago.
Youtube: Women in Art. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDIoN-_Hxs.
Guerrilla Girls: Wikipedia. (2008). Retrieved May 21, 2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_Girls.
Schaer, C. (2008) An artistic quirk: Visual Art News Reviews. Retrieved March 27, 2008, from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=355&objectid=10499941&pnum=0.

9 comments:

sweet-niblets said...

Hi there.
After reading your post i really learned alot about "feminist Art" that i didn't already know. I enjoy art, but totally have no creative abilities. However i appreciate it and when i read that so many female artists are totally missing in the history of art i was completely shocked! I mean just because they were female artists, during the time it was a completely male dominated industry, shouldn't allow them to go unrecognised. I agree with you about female artists being discriminated at this time in history, simply because of their sex and it seems to me that it was really unfortunate for some of those female artists. They probably didn't get the recognition from their appreciaters that they truely deserved for their work.
In this present time, i hope it is still not like this in the "art world"?? i am not sure, but i hope both male and femlae artists are treated equaly!!

vic said...

Hey ericah ,
Personally if I attempted at something and it turned out good and I didnt get any credit or aknowledgement for it, I would become really upset and frustrated because I know I worked hard in completing whatever I may have completed. Therefore it frustrates me even more that certain female artists who put their time and energy into thier art are hardly being recognized and male artist are. I know this is wrong and I am glad that you were able to pick this out. I think men and women should be treated equally after all we are all capable of doing the same things. Just like art. Female artists are capable of doing the exact same thing as a male artist maybe even better who knows ?? well I enjoyed reading your blog and like clare I didnt really know much about feminist art until I read your blog. So not only did you give me an insight of what feminist art is about but you also brang out a very important issue that male artists to need to take into consideration.I am looking forward to reading more.
oh yeah one more thing you havent commented on my blog yet lols . You commented on eileen's thinking that it ws mine lols . Thats okay ill just wait for your feedback. Thankyou

Voluspa said...

Hey Girls!|

Thnaks so much for commenting back on my blog.
===================================
I was pretty much on the same boat as you two, i had no idea there were female artist or maybe it never click to to my brain at all. Not just speaking about art but aswell as every other things women do that finds themselve being discriminated by men in society. And just like to refer back to what you said Vic, yeah i understand what your saying about hard work not being recognise or not being appreciated by men for example. It use to be an issue back in the days where women were not allow to vote or get education. Now women are able to do that, most women became more sucessful in the last 5 decades all because they they work together.

Voluspa said...

Hey Vic

Im trying to find your blog but i cant find it! Lmao

minnie-mouse said...

Hey!
This is a another topic that I've never even thought about before. But after reading your blog I googled Judy Chicago's "Dinner Party" and I'm so surprised that I've never even heard about or seen it before!! When I read the Da Vinci code I read about the triangle being the women's symbol etc. so that's probably the only background understanding I have on this. I think that just proves how much society puts women second. See, I'm not a huge art fan, I like pretty pictures and am really impressed by people's skills. However, I'm not really an enthusiast (mostly coz I lack knowledge) but even I have heard of Andy Warhol etc..
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It's a really good topic =D

Joseph said...

Hey I agree with your points on equality and all that, and it is unfortunate to see that women in the past were discriminated against heavily. Heck it was even the norm to beat your wife back then.

But now a days you must admit it is getting more and more even, between males and females.

Females do play a higher role in society now, such as politicians and so forth

I can't really say much on the femenine art persepective as im pretty much ignorant in that aspect. Personally I'm into Street art im not sure if that would be your type of thing as it is quite different, art by "Banksy" often have a political adgenda behind it you wanna check it out.

Voluspa said...

Hey Guys

Something i learned which i should of mentioned earlier on was why women have been put second best or last before men. Some historian argue that women were put aside merely because women have always been blame in history referring back to the one true book you can rely on is the Bible. Everyone knows the story of Adam and Eve who historians say it all stated when Adam and Eve were banished from the Garden of Eden from God because Eve disobeyed God, therefore they argue that its a punishment for all women to be placed in a stage where in some sense they are the follower. (honestly i really dont get that point at all)..., some historian and sources even say its because God created Men first (Adam) then Women (Eve).Therefore thats how we should live in our society. I don’t know if anyone knew about this but that’s what Ive been told 3 years ago (lol) i even wrote it down on my note book so yeah... this relates to a scripter that’s originates from the Bible “First will always be the last”. Gosh i hope i explain that clear enough.

M* WAN-YUN, KAO said...

I find that such women’s rights have been abused very often between the 17th and 19th centuries. I have never heard of a feminist musician either! In ancient China, women were not even allowed to read. In Japan during the samurai period, women were not allowed to leave their house at all, and no males (even families) were allowed to enter the house while the husband is not at home, and men were legally allowed to kill their wives if the wives were found in an affair, and men can have as many affairs as they want, it is a total outrage! This is a bit off the topic, but I guess it also relates to females’rights.

Voluspa said...

Hey Bloggers

Thank so mush for your comments, some interesting comments too. I will take all your feed back into consideration.

Thanks all!

Cheers
Erica